Licence to Reproduce Registered Content
Licence to Reproduce Registered Content
- Grant of Licence
- Your obligations
- Excluded content
- Registered Content
- Changes to this Licence
- Information about you and your visits to the Site
- Governing law and jurisdiction
This Licence tells you the terms on which you may register and access the Registered Content as a registered user and download, use, copy and adapt the Registered Content. Please read this Licence carefully. By registering your details you indicate that you accept the terms of this Licence and agree to be bound by them. You should download or print a copy of the terms of this Licence for future reference.
Please note that the Registered Content may not be accessed by individuals who are resident in, or who are accessing the Site from, countries which are subject to Foreign & Commonwealth Office sanctions and restrictions. An up-to-date list of the restricted countries is available online. We will not activate accounts where individuals attempt to carry out the registration process from those countries.
Additional constraints may apply for certain of our registered for services which you will be told about when you register. For example, you need to hold a UK pilots' licence to access certain of our aviation services.
You must accept the terms of this Licence before you register on our Site. If you do not agree to the terms of this Licence, you will not be able to register your details and access the Registered Content.
In this Licence, including the Introduction, the terms below have the following meanings:
- "Licence": the licence contained in these terms and conditions and your completed registration form;
- "Registered Content": any publication or information which is made available when you register on the Site but which excludes the matters referred to in paragraph 4 of this Licence;
- "Site": our website www.metoffice.gov.uk and all associated Met Office micro-sites linked to this website;
- "us, our, we": the Met Office, whose address is FitzRoy Road, Exeter, Devon, EX1 3PB, for and on behalf of the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland;
- "you, your": the person(s) who wishes to reproduce the Registered Content covered by this Licence.
Grant of Licence
We grant you a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, non-transferable licence to download, use, copy and adapt the Registered Content. If you want to use the Registered Content for any purpose not covered by this Licence you must contact us by sending an email to [email protected].
The Licence is granted on a free of charge basis.
- provide accurate details when you register on this part of the Site and let us know if your details change;
- send us, if we ask for it, a copy of any material you produce which includes or is based on the Registered Content;
- allow us to inspect any material you produce which includes or is based on the Registered Content to make sure that you have complied with the terms of this Licence;
- reproduce the Registered Content accurately (without editing);
- use the following acknowledgement in any presentation incorporating the Registered Content:
"Data supplied by the Met Office"
- except where you have been advised otherwise, all Registered Content is subject to Crown Copyright and any reproduction or publication of the Registered Content must contain a Crown Copyright acknowledgement in the following form:
where the reproduction will be wholly within the UK:
"© Crown copyright [followed by year], the Met Office"
where the reproduction will occur outside the UK:
"© British Crown copyright [followed by year], the Met Office"
You must not:
- use the Registered Content, our logos or our trade marks to endorse or promote your products and/or services;
- reproduce content which is not covered by this Licence;
- present out of date information as if it were current;
- use the Registered Content in a way which is likely to mislead others. For example, if you adapt, change, enhance or manipulate the Registered Content in any way you must not give the impression your output is endorsed or produced by the Met Office;
- reproduce our logos or trade marks without our prior express permission; or
- do anything that may bring the name of the Met Office into disrepute or which damages or dilutes the goodwill associated with the name and trade marks of the Met Office.
The following material on our Site is excluded from the Registered Content and may not be downloaded, used, copied or adapted by you using this Licence:
- any material which is on a section of our Site for which payment is required;
- any advertisements or promotions by third parties;
- any material which is identified as belonging to someone other than the Met Office; and
- any material which is provided under a Commercially Funded Service. Such material may be used solely by you, your officers, employees and/or contractors solely in the course of your day to day internal business administration and the day to day running of your business and/or organisation. This expressly excludes the supply and/or sharing of the materials to and/or with any third parties, whether the materials be in their original form and/or incorporated and/or adapted for products and/or services supplied by you of whatever description anywhere in the world.
Commercially Funded Services include:
- Any other service which we tell you is a Commercially Funded Service when you attempt to access and/or register for it.
We aim to ensure that the Registered Content is accurate and consistent with our current knowledge and practice. However, meteorology and climatology are inexact sciences which are constantly evolving and therefore any element of the Registered Content which involves a forecast or a prediction may not be relied upon as though it were a statement of fact. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, we exclude all warranties or representations (express or implied) in respect of the Registered Content.
Your use of the Registered Content is entirely at your own risk. We make no warranty, representation or guarantee that the Registered Content is error free or fit for your intended use.
You have the right to end this Licence at any time by giving us notice in writing or by email to [email protected].
If you breach the terms of this Licence, we may terminate the Licence and/or block your IP address from accessing the Site and/or withdraw your right to use the Site (or any part of the Site) and/or terminate your registration such that you can't access the registered for content on the Site, with immediate effect. We may also exercise these rights on National Security grounds.
If you or we end this Licence or you withdraw your registration from the Site, all rights granted to you under this Licence shall cease.
We may at any time remove or suspend the Registered Content or any part of the Registered Content. We may at any time make changes or modifications to the Registered Content.
Changes to this Licence
We have the right, at our sole discretion and at any time, to change or modify this Licence, such change shall be effective immediately upon posting to the Site. You are responsible for regularly reviewing this page to obtain timely notice of any such changes, as they are binding on you. We will post a last-amended date at the bottom of this page to assist such review. Your continued use of the Registered Content after such posting shall constitute your acceptance of the revised Licence terms.
Information about you and your visits to the Site
We have obligations under law, including the Freedom of Information legislation, to disclose information including confidential information held by us. We will always endeavour to consult with you before making a decision to disclose confidential information held by us.
You may not assign your rights or obligations under this Licence to anyone else.
Governing law and jurisdiction
This Licence and any and all claims, disputes or proceedings of any kind (whether relating to contractual or non-contractual obligations) arising out of or in connection with it shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law.
This Licence shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of Courts located in the United Kingdom in respect of all proceedings (whether relating to contractual or non-contractual obligations).
LAST REVIEWED AND UPDATED APRIL 2010
© Crown copyright 2010, Met Office